Friday, February 18, 2005

I'm not a Philistine!

I want it to be known that I do appreciate and enjoy art, a lot of art. I'm not a complete philistine just because I don't like conceptual art. I love the work of Andy Goldsworthy. I'm amazed at what he can create using only the effects of nature as both content and tools. One of my all time favorite pieces is the tree stump encircled with icicles (what a lovely word icicle is. When you start to spell it out the sounds describe what it is: i-c-i-c...!). Another artist who fascinates me is Sophie Calle. I don't know if she's considered a conceptual or performance artist (both forms that don't appeal to me much) or something completely different, but I like what she does. Probably because I feel an affinity to her desire to snoop, investigate, and generally pry into strangers' lives. She appeals to the voyeur in me. However, if she did to me what she does to her subjects, I'd be quite angry at the invasion of privacy. I think of her as a guilty pleasure.

No comments: