Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Jaguar or Tabby Cat?


The first Jaguar I remember seeing was at the Men's department of Nordstroms in the Tacoma mall. I must have been eleven or twelve. I was so enamoured with the sleek hunter green 1980's XJ that I took the dealer's card and carried it in my wallet for years (yes, I was an odd child). For some reason this event is stuck in my memory like it's significant.

I recalled this memory while contemplating the marriage of Jaguar and Ford. I think the relationship has been disastrous for the Jaguar. No longer sleek and elegant like its namesake, the new Jaguars are bloated tabby cats in comparison to earlier models. They look like glorified Fords. Instead of Jaguar enhancing the Ford, Ford has fouled the Jaguar reputation, dumbing down its distinctive style and shape until it looks like any other car on the road. I wouldn't recognize the new Jaguars if it wasn't for the hood ornament. That could never be said prior to the marriage.

2 comments:

mendacious said...

um, yes. yes you were an odd child. but my dad would be proud. you're like the daughter i never wanted to be ' )

Arnie Brown said...

I like your blog, and will add it to "my favorites". I am new to blogging, but not new to car clubs. I have furnished custom made car badges to dozens of car clubs all over the country. I have a web site that I feel you will find both interesting and informative. Please pay me a visit when you have time.
**car clubs**car club majestics