Thursday, June 02, 2005

I want to make Hay

Why am I not here? I love books, I love castles, thus, I must love Hay! Whet your appetite for Hay here. Added to my summer reading list is William Hague's book on Pitt, the youngest British Prime Minister...ever. He (meaning Hague) apparently wooed the audience with his humor at Hay.

My heart is beating faster now with all this talk of books because now I can read for fun!
For the last three years I've been pursuing a masters degree in Christian Theology and Philosophy and now I'm DONE! I finally get to read for fun, for pleasure, for giggles. I may even read a NOVEL. A real hefty beast like The Brothers Karamazov or a fluffier bit like Kate Atkinson's Case Histories, the first book recommendation by Litblog Co-op. I'm already committed to reading Eminent Victorians by Lytton Strachey during the month of July. to get into the mood of all things Victorian I will be taking trips to the oceanside to collect seaweed for pressing. I may even post my efforts. Oh, and I MUST read the biography of Theodore Roosevelt by Edmund Morris. My father gave me the complete set for my birthday right around the time I started my master's program. For three years he's been asking me if I've read it and for three years I've disappointed him with my response. Perhaps I'll surprise him with a 'yes" this August.

2 comments:

mendacious said...

your poor dad! you better make that a priority!

DaveShack said...

I just read an advanced copy of Mark Helprin's forthcoming novel, Freddy and Fredericka, which is a satire loosely based on what might have happened to Prince Charles and Lady Diana in a better world. It's coming out in July. Don't miss it. It does, I'll warn, have an excessive amount of puns and "who's on first" type dialogues though.