Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Funniest Class Moment

My first day of class in The History and Systems of Normative Ethics with Dr. Horner. Love it so far. Anyway, he's talking about some woman he knew at Oxford whose husband taught there. He described her as having "a foot shaped mouth." So she's at this party talking to another woman when she blurts out, "you're in my husband's episiotomy class!" I guffawed, 'cause, well, I've been awfully close to that reality. I then laughed harder when I saw this young, single, serious guy lean over to the young, single, serious guy next to him and mouth "What's an episiotomy?" The other young man looked just as confused and shrugged. Out of 30 students, only two of whom are female, I'm pretty sure I was the only one who "got" the funny based on the silence that followed Dr. Horner's utterance.

Update: I think I should've made more clear that the woman meant to say "epistemology" not episiotomy. Now that I've beaten it dead, I will clear off.

4 comments:

christian said...

i would have laughed out loud too...that one would not have flown over my head. :)

Unknown said...

i had to look it up;)
but now i know (!)

Unknown said...

and ps- i'm trying to finish up the julia book so you can read it! she's a 'gal friday', as i would hear autumn saying. gumption through and through!

eric O said...

Now there's a woman who takes pride in her husband's work!

What are your texts for that class? We have an ethics class coming up here in Kyiv in the fall and it'd be good to recommend some texts to the prof.