Thursday, April 12, 2007

On Poetry

I don't like poetry. I'm a prose gal. Words in prose are less slippery, less opaque. I like that. I recognize that my apathy toward poetry is a personal failing and something to be rectified. I'm open to developing the capacity to have a capacity to appreciate poetry (to use a J.P. Morelandism).

Fred Sanders (one of my favorite professors from the Apologetics program at Biola) illuminates the point of poetry and in doing so sparks a desire within me to explore this foreign language. Here are some excerpts:

"Think of the world as divided between things easily labelled and things just barely describable. Civilians work with the easily labelled things, but when something just barely describable confronts us, we call in the language marines: poets."

AND

"What if something awful is rolling toward your generation and nobody knows what to call it? What if part of our desperate situation is our inability to name ourselves and our situation? What if we can’t appropriate the goodness available to us unless we can recognize it as what it is and tell ourselves and each other about it? What if the source of our life is a mystery that can’t be definitively spoken but must be acknowledged, praised, confessed? What if the region of the ineffable isn’t out at the boundaries of our lives but right at the center?"

The question now is, where to begin? Any suggestions?

4 comments:

~sarah said...

i tend to have favorite poems rather poets. same with music usually. not sure why. one of my all-time favorites is "he wishes for the cloths of heaven" by yeats. (his brother was an excellent painter, btw.)

mendacious said...

i knew there was a reason i didn't give you my thesis... you might like well... hmm. we're giong to have to talk about this in person.

DaveShack said...

Some of my links may have expired, but I've gathered some information about Scott Cairns and Paul Mariani. I think you'd like Cairns, in particular. If you are in a bookstore, try and find Cairn's book "Philokalia". Cairns finds ways to get at spiritual truths in a sideways fashion, with careful language.

Also, one poet who probably speaks your language is Carl Dennis. Look for his book "Practical Gods." Dennis' poetry sounds like prose, but is sharp in its insight.

DaveShack said...

Oops. Forgot to actually include the link: http://david.shackelford.org/cpp.php3