Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Migration

While gazing out my window at work, I noticed what appeared to be leaves blowing in the wind. But they weren't scuttling along the ground like most leaves gusted by a draft, they were higher than head level. I thought to myself, "my there must be a strong wind blowing" until I looked closer and determined they were butterflies! Hundreds of butterflies fluttering down Burbank Blvd. They look tipsy. They aren't en masse, but a constant stream of little groupings. They must be migrating Monarchs from Mexico heading to Northern California. One year around Easter I visited Santa Cruz and the migrated butterflies had settled in a thicket of trees completely covering the trunk and limbs. Today is gorgeous with brilliant blue sky edged with plump white and silver clouds, the air is clean, crisp, the type of day that gives you extra clarity because of the intensity of colors. And then the butterflies came making today perfect.

UPDATE: The Monarchs turned out to be Painted Ladies. A variety that also swarms in from Mexico every now and again.

No comments: